Leadership development expert Barrett Brown joins Terry to explore the most advanced levels of leadership, especially as they apply in the US as a new Biden administration begins to navigate simultaneous, interpenetrating fast-moving crises. Barrett shares which leadership capacities are most essential for “leading in the unknown” amidst hypercomplex adaptive systems, heightened polarization, and a damaged information ecosystem. Many insights emerge, principally starting where we are: integrating the many capacities that are already present, in ourselves and one another, and trusting the creative potential of teams that are cooperating with intuitive heart intelligence.
Dr. Barrett Brown is a global expert on how to develop leaders to successfully navigate hypercomplex challenges and transformation. He is also a longtime personal friend and colleague. Barrett is the Managing Director of Apheno Advisory, and works across six continents with C-suite executives and teams from Fortune 500 companies and international non-profits, regularly advising a trillion-dollar tech company and the largest environmental NGO in the world. He holds a PhD in Human and Organizational Systems and his award-winning research on the future of leadership is used in executive education programs worldwide. He’s also on the selection committee of the Katerva Awards – considered the Nobel Prize for sustainability – and has held consultancy status to the United Nations.
Here are some additional questions Barrett and Terry explore:
- How might leadership experts anticipate Biden failing or succeeding, based on what we know about advanced “late-stage” leadership?
- How do late-stage leaders “lead from behind” by empowering teams and harvesting the collective intuition and intelligence of the whole?
- To what extent do we already have all the capacities we need — in one another and in the system?
- If so, how do we cultivate conditions for trust, collaboration and co-creativity?
- How can you and I relate best to the complex challenges and opportunities we’ll likely face in the next four years?
For more information on Barrett Brown and Terry Patten, check out the following links:
- Barrett’s website, apheno.com
- The Future of Leadership for Conscious Capitalism
- Sane Leadership in a Crazy World: Essentials of Complexity Leadership
- Full Spectrum Leadership: How to Communicate to Different Developmental Stages
- Overview of the Strategist, Alchemist and Ironist Action Logics (Later Stages of Ego Development)
- A New Republic of the Heart
- Terry Patten’s website
We’re officially inviting you into the State of Emergence conversation in the form of new live discussions and Q&A with me and others every month, during which we’ll dive deeper into that month’s episodes. Our first session will be at 12 Noon PDT on December 29th 2020. To participate, simply become a “Friend of State of Emergence” on our website by contributing $10/month or more. If you’re already contributing at that level, you’ll automatically be invited to join. If you cannot afford that contribution and you want to participate, just contact us. Everyone is welcome.
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from the New Republic of the Heart.