The original, caring, and influential thinker Charles Eisenstein joins Terry to explore what’s really happening in this disorienting, liminal ordeal we find ourselves in — what he calls the “space between stories.” We confront the pattern of dehumanization we’re seeing across human culture, especially amidst our converging crises, and we consider what is required to support a pattern of sacralization — that continuously restores the sacredness of one another and the natural world through our listening, sensemaking, generosity, and relationships. Ultimately, we endeavor to expand our curiosity and play in a larger reality — with our minds and hearts more open to unknown forces and new possibilities considered “off limits” by dominant narratives.
Charles Eisenstein’s work focuses on themes of human culture, identity, systems change, and personal growth. He transmits profound clarity, disarming openmindedness, and deep care for the human future and that of the more-than- human world. Charles is the author of several books, including Sacred Economics, The More Beautiful World our Hearts Know is Possible, and his newest book, Climate: A New Story. Two of his most recent & noteworthy essays are The Coronation and The Conspiracy Myth.
Here are some of the questions we discuss in the episode:
- Does our real security come from what we have, or what we give away?
- Among all that’s considered “off limits” in culture, can we discover essential stories and information?
- How does the pervasive tendency to “find the enemy” tend to reduce the natural world to commodities and profit?
- How can each conversation we have be a sacred opportunity to restore one another’s humanity?
For more information on Charles Eisenstein and Terry Patten, check out the following resources:
- Charles Eisenstein’s website
- Charles’ recent essay, The Coronation
- Charles’ recent essay, The Conspiracy Myth
- Charles’ latest book, Climate: A New Story
- Terry Patten’s website
Learn more and join our social experiment at A New Republic of the Heart, visit BeingofBenefit.com.
- Visit BeingofBenefit.com
Join Our Community of Listeners and Supporters
If you haven’t yet, we welcome you to join us as a monthly contributor here and become part of our community of listeners dedicated to uplifting our public discourse.