Poet, teacher and interfaith chaplain Fred LaMotte joins Terry to listen, notice, honor and share the mysterious depth that emerges between them, among them and beyond them. Terry begins by reading one of Fred’s poems, and later Fred shares a couple of his favorite poems with Terry. They explore the inner processes and revelations from which luminous poetry, writing and art arises and how Fred practices in relation to his writing. Their shared inquiry continues to find its way back to a place beyond poetry, words, beliefs and ideas as they stay in touch with the “infinitely delicate jolt” of connecting (and reconnecting) with presence and dwelling in the tender receptivity of the miracle of each moment.
Alfred K. LaMotte is the author of three books of poetry. A graduate of Yale University and Princeton Theological Seminary, he has been director of Religious Studies and Community Service at America’s oldest Quaker school, a college instructor in World Religions, an interfaith college chaplain, and a meditation teacher.
Here are a couple of additional questions that we explore in the episode:
- How can we care about the outcomes of our lives and our work, while also being released from the karma of identifying with good or not-so-good outcomes?
- How can the practice of “beholding what is” become a service to life itself and the evolutionary process of life knowing itself at an unprecedented depth?
For more information on Fred LaMotte and Terry Patten, check out the following resources:
- Fred’s website, yourradiance.blogspot.com
- Fred’s book, Wounded Bud
- Fred’s book, Savor Eternity One Moment at a Time
- Fred’s book, The Fire of Darkness
- Our podcast website, stateofemergence.org
- Terry Patten’s nonprofit, A New Republic of the Heart
- Terry Patten’s personal website
Would you like to support the podcast?State of Emergence is made possible by listeners’ contributions, through the nonprofit A New Republic of the Heart. If you appreciate our work, we’d love to invite you to support it through a monthly or one-time donation of any size. Also, we explore each episode in greater depth during our State of Emergence live Q&A events and our monthly supporters are always invited to join. If you haven’t already joined as a supporter, please consider becoming a Friend of State of Emergence and help the podcast become financially sustainable. A caring community is making it all possible and we’d love for you to be part of it! Go to stateofemergence.com and click Join the Conversation.