Insightful author, speaker, and consultant Carter Phipps joins Terry to explore our intensifying political, economic, and cultural crises in the U.S. Carter begins by reflecting on his previous home — the San Francisco Bay Area — and how, in many ways, today’s progressive cities do not resemble the healthy and sustainable future societies he envisions. He and Terry consider how progressives might more effectively care for and criticize their own tribe, while also integrating innovative conservative solutions.
Here are some of the questions they discuss:
- How have some progressive attitudes formed in the ’70s and ’80s become suppressive and counterproductive in 2020?
- What can we learn from the socio-economic successes and failures of the San Francisco Bay Area?
- How can we operate outside our “official” cultural narratives and constructively criticize our own tribal habits?
- Can we reduce polarization within ourselves by embracing and integrating the partial truths of the “other” side? Can that make us more effective transpartisans?
Carter is the co-author (with Whole Foods founder John Mackey and philosopher Steve McIntosh) of the upcoming book Conscious Leadership. He also authored the important bestseller, Evolutionaries — and he was previously the executive editor of What Is Enlightenment? magazine from 2005-2010. With McIntosh, he co-founded the social policy think tank, the Institute for Cultural Evolution. He has most recently been writing, speaking, and consulting at the intersection of business, politics, and culture. Most of all, Carter is an insightful observer of deep and mostly unnoticed cultural emergents, currents and dynamics, “Thinking Ahead” with clarity and balance.
We hope you appreciate this episode with Carter Phipps on State of Emergence. If you believe these conversations are important and want to support them, please join us as a monthly contributor and become part of our community of listeners. Thank you so much!
For more information on Jim Garrison and Terry Patten, check out the following resources:
- Carter’s new book, Conscious Leadership
- Institute for Cultural Evolution
- Carter’s book, Evolutionaries
- Terry Patten’s website
- A New Republic of the Heart website